A healthy room for little girl with Leukemia

Nine-year-old Stella was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) on February 1, 2010. When Michelle Bexelius, owner of ecoRemedi, heard of Stella’s plight, she contacted the family and offered them free ecoConsultation and ecoInterior services.

By doing something as simple as repainting Stella’s bedroom using high-quality non-VOC paints and primers (Dick’s Color Center and Pratt & Lambert), Bexelius is proving that ecoHealthy can also be ecoBeautiful. “There is always an alternative [to unhealthy products]; you just have to pick your priorities and know what to look for,” she explains.

ecoRemedi checked the electromagnetic frequency (EMF) levels, moved Stella’s bed, and checked for lead in the windowsills. On the advice of ecoRemedi, the family is also getting new, healthy mattresses, pillows and bedding thanks to (Eclectic Home), sustainable cork floors (Eco Haus) and custom designed textiles (cool cotton). The bedroom was cleared of clutter, the stuffed animals were minimized and the space was organized to create a harmonious haven.

We also want her room to resonate with her style making it fun for an almost 9 year old and her 4 year old sister to call their own. Michelle designed curtains and a duvet cover and pillow to brighten the room.  Melamine furniture and plastic storage containers were replaced with solid wood pieces to improve the indoor air quality.

It will be a bright moment when Stella sees her room for the first time. We will be there smiling too knowing we helped improve the health of her room so a little girl can heal and grow up and fulfill her dreams.

Air Testing Results

ecoRemedi has suggested to check with the NW Natural Gas to come and see if there could be a leak or the have their HVAC system inspected to help clean the indoor air.  There were also higher levels of carbon dioxide which can result in a blocked air duct. Every room should have clean air flowing. We recommend a filter and UV light to cut down on bacteria and allergens. The room was retested and the air results were much improved.

We will test again after the room is complete and post the results on www.ecoremedi.com.

EMF results:

Readings were higher than normal at the original site of the bed. Looking beneath the room, in the basement we discovered there were many wires that were concentrated there resulting in a higher voltage reading. When the body is exposed to high amounts of voltage it reduces the immune system. Solution: We moved the bed across the room and placed a dresser there.

You are Welcome Stella! Enjoy your healthy room by Eco Remedi.

Healthy Room for child with Leukemia helps her heal.

Michelle Bexelius consults and writes about ecoHealthy living, and is currently writing a book on the subject. Her ecoInterior work has been featured on an HGTV special where she designed an ecoNursery for a celebrity mom. Bexelius’ goal is to promote healthy, sustainable lifestyles.

For more information on ecoRemedi’s ecoConsulting and ecoInterior services, please contact owner Michelle Bexelius at michelle@ecoremedi.com.

How to reduce chemical exposures for children in everyday products.

Simple, Smart and Safe ways to reduce chemical exposures in everyday products for children.
By Michelle Bexelius – Founder of Eco Remedi

Healthy, Green Ideas for Families

Find out where the top toxins are lurking in your home that could be affecting your child’s health. Learn what products to avoid and what healthy, safe ones to replace them with. Michelle recommends testing your indoor air quality for chemical VOC’s, radon, and EMR (electromagnetic radiation)- the new pollution that contributes to childhood illnesses. She provides simple solutions that give you and your family peace of mind.

Environmental toxins are everywhere and we show you how be your own advocate so you can take control of your space, so it doesn’t take control of you.  There are still 80,000 chemicals in products today that aren’t approved by the FDA, only 200 are. Until the Toxics Substance Control Act (TSCA) is changed, people need to be more in control of their environment.

Here are Eco Remedi’s Top toxins to avoid for you and your kids:

  1. EMR – Electromagnetic Radiation – test all sitting and sleeping areas. Health effects: lowers immune system, cancers.
  2. Indoor Air Qualilty – test your air, use a good filter, avoid chemicals in products. Health effects: asthma, allergies, lowers immune system, multiple chemical sensitivity, fatigue.
  3. PBDE’s – (fire retardants) found in mattresses, pillows, car seats, pjs, furniture.  Health effects: neurotoxic chemical. Continue reading

Electromagnetic Fields- The new pollution

IMG_0232

EMF - The New Pollution by Eco Remedi

by Michelle Bexelius – founder of Eco Remedi

“EMF Pollution may be the most significant form of pollution human activity has produced in this century, all the more dangerous because it is invisible and insensible. ” -Andrew Weil, MD

“Ten years ago, one birth in 100,000 was an autistic child. In 2005, one birth in 162 birth was an autistic child. A few years ago, these problems were due to cell phone use, in the last year and a half 80% of the people presenting problems don’t even use cell phones. The problem now has to do with the high levels of background EMR.” -Dr. George Carlo, EMR expert

What you can do inside your home.
By simply checking your EMF (Electro Magnetic Frequency) readings you can prevent serious illnesses from occurring. Most of the older homes that are remodeled homes have old faulty wiring and need a professional electrician to re-wire them. Often times when we think of faulty wiring, we think fires, not so in this case. I spoke to a mom at my son’s school and she told me this story.I thought I would share it with you to enlighten you about the importance of checking the electromagnetic fields in your home. Not only can this be a health hazard it can help your home be more energy efficient.  Go to http://www.lessemf.com/gauss.html to purchase your own EMF tester.

True Story – written by Patti- Santa Barbara, CA.
“In 1995 my son, Tyler had an outlet next to his bed that had a power reading of 10.0,normal, or safe readings should be 0.1-0.3. My husband and I did not even know what electrical magnetics were. The same year our five year old son became very ill. Doctors did not know what it was.

Continue reading